What's that? You need to find the safest sippy cups and drink bottles for kids, you say? No problem! We've just finished wading through several hundred options to put together the largest, most comprehensive list in existence to help make your life just a little bit easier.
After weeks of contacting companies, extracting answers, and poring over information, we were able to compile a master list of 90 products confirmed free of endocrine disrupting chemicals that meet the following criteria for safety:
- No BPA or BPS
- No recycling code #7 plastics
- No PVC, phthalates, polystyrene or melamine
- No “proprietary” materials
- Heavy metal safe
You'll see that the sippy cups and drink bottles we included are mostly made of glass, stainless steel, polypropylene, and silicone.
Don't forget to check out our guide to Decoding the Mystery of Safer vs Toxic Plastic so you can look at your current kids' cups and bottles to help you determine what materials they're constructed of.
P.S. Did you know that BPA and BPS were recently shown to disrupt thyroid hormone too? Learn more about it here!
NOTE: We contacted as many companies as we possibly could, and there were only two brands that didn't respond: NUK and Gerber (same company), although we did include one NUK product in the guide because we'd previously known its material makeup.
UPDATE 2/27/17: Lead-positive testing of Green Sprouts sippy cup with glass insert has surfaced, so we've removed it from our guide in an effort to provide complete and accurate information.
Sippy and Training Cups[show-logos orderby='none' category='kids-cups-sippy-cups' activeurl='new' style='normal' interface='grid3′ tooltip='false' description='true' limit='0′ ]
Straw Bottles and Cups[show-logos orderby='none' category='kids-cups-straw-cups-and-bottles' activeurl='new' style='normal' interface='grid3′ tooltip='false' description='true' limit='0′ ]
Drink Bottles[show-logos orderby='none' category='kids-cups-water-bottles' activeurl='new' style='normal' interface='grid3′ tooltip='false' description='true' limit='0′ ]
Cups and Tumblers[show-logos orderby='none' category='kids-cups-cups-and-tumblers' activeurl='new' style='normal' interface='grid3′ tooltip='false' description='true' limit='0′ ]
Drink Tops[show-logos orderby='none' category='kids-cups-drink-tops' activeurl='new' style='normal' interface='grid4′ tooltip='false' description='true' limit='0′ ]
Additional Safer Products We’ve Already Confirmed for You
We’ve done an awful lot of research over the last 8 years to locate safer plastic products that are free of BPA, PVC, phthalates, melamine and other worrisome #7 plastics. So take be sure to check our shopping guides first before buying food related products:
- A Comprehensive Guide to Choosing Safer Kitchen Appliances
- Safer Food Storage Container Guide
- Safer Kids Cup and Dish Guide
- Detox Mealtime with the Ultimate Safe Baby & Toddler Feeding Gear Guide
- Safer Food Dehydrator Shopping Guide
- Safer Dishes for Freezer Meals
- How to Avoid PVC in Plastic Food Wrap
- The Ultimate Toxic-free Coffee and Tea Maker Shopping Guide
- How to Choose Safe Containers for DIY Skincare Recipes
- Safer Bath Toy Guide
- How to Find a Non-toxic Artificial Christmas Tree
- PVC-free Wall Clings for a Healthy Nursery
- Are You Ruining Your Organic Garden with Toxic Plastic?
- In Search of PVC Free Non-Slip Bath Mats
- How to Choose PVC-free Pools, Floaties, Toys and Life Jackets
- How to Choose a Non-toxic Dishwasher